Frequently Asked Questions

Recording Frequently Asked Questions
1) How do I become a legal resident of Florida?

If you were born in Florida and have never established legal residency in another state, you are a legal resident of Florida. If you were not born in Florida, to become a legal resident you can either register to vote with the Supervisor of Elections or fill out and record a Declaration of Domicile with the Clerk of the Circuit Court in the recording department.

2) How can I obtain a copy of the land survey of my property?

Land surveys are not recorded or filed with the Clerk's office. To obtain a copy, you will need to contact the land surveyor who performed the survey. If there is a mortgage on the property, sometimes the mortgage holder has a copy of the survey in their records.

3) How can I find out the property owner for an address or piece of property?

This information is available from the Manatee County Property Appraiser.

4) Where can I get a copy of a birth or death certificate?

If the birth or death took place in Manatee County, you can obtain a copy from the local Bureau of Vital Statistics, which is located at the Manatee County Health Department.

5) How far do the Records in Manatee County go back? Is it possible to find information from the 1800's?

Manatee County's records date back to the 1850's and are kept in the Historical Records Library.

6) How do I place a lien against someone's property?

It is important to read Florida Statute 713, which governs liens. If you still have questions, you will need to contact an attorney.

7) How do I register my fictitious name?

You can get an information packet and register a fictitious name with the Secretary of State in Tallahassee.

8) Can I get a copy of the plat map to my subdivision at the Courthouse?

Visit the section of our web site called PLAT SEARCH to view your plat on-line. You can also obtain a copy at the Courthouse in our Public Access division.